Only one thing can rival the stupidity coming out of the White House –
Sanzaar have appointed Jaco Peyper to ref the Super Rugby final in Johannesburg this weekend!
They had a real chance to finally show leadership, but chose to ignore the facts –
- This is the crown jewel of the much criticised Southern Hemisphere rugby franchise
- It’s South Africa v New Zealand
- The whole tournament has a totally flawed format
- Jaco Peyper is South African and has been heavily criticised for his handling of the semi-final (also a Lions home fixture)
- His controversial yellow card for Barrett gifted the Lions 17 points and the lead.
- Even South African pundits agreed that the yellow card was at best ’harsh’
- Sanzaar have consistently been criticised for not having neutral officials
The most sensible option was to have an Australian referee – or even a NH one – did they even check the availability of Nigel Owens?
Match: Lions v Crusaders
Date: Saturday 05 August 2017
Venue: Emirates Park Stadium, Johannesburg
Kick Off local: 16.00
Referee: Jaco Peyper
Assistant Ref 1: Glen Jackson
Assistant Ref 2: Marius van der Westhuizen
TMO: Marius Jonker
Instead they picked Peyper (no pun intended) and then risked further ridicule by also having South Africans for one of the assistants and the TMO ffs!
SANZAAR CEO Andy Marinos said on the announcement: “The match official selection is never easy as we have a very dedicated group of officials who week in week out perform very professionally and to very high standards.
“The selection criteria for all match official appointments for the last two years follows a clear tournament policy – as agreed by the SANZAAR Executive Committee and the tournament’s stakeholders – that such appointments be merit-based.
Were they all pissed?
Alternative Sanzaar meeting –
“Christ you look a bit rough mate”
“I got trollied after we copped all that stick over having Jaco do the Hurricanes”
Blimey he did as well didn’t he!”
“You mean do them? – I should say so!”
“How about we get that Aussie to do the final?”
“Why would we do that?”
“Well it is another SA v NZ”
“Yeah, but Jaco is handy – he only lives down the road”
“Well, If you’re sure it won’t backfire, it is the final after all – how about a neutral TMO?”
“”What and pay another airfare?”
“Really? We can’t be that hard up surely”
“Nah – but what could possibly go wrong?”